Boston Police Investigating Several Cases of Car Vandalism Involving Shoveled Out Parking Spaces
The Boston Police Department is investigating several reports of car vandalism related to shoveled out parking spaces. The incidents took place between February 11 – 13, 2013, in several neighborhoods of the city.
(1) About 9:10AM, on Wednesday, February 13, 2013, a male victim reported to officers at District C-11 (Dorchester) that his car tires were vandalized during the night while parked in the area of 7 Mayfield Street in Dorchester. The victim told police that he parked his on February 12, 2013, at about 5:00PM, and when he returned to his car the next day, he noticed his front tires were slashed.
(2) About 10:49AM, on Tuesday, February 12, 2013, officers from District D-14 (Brighton) responded to a radio call involving vandalism on Litchfield Street. On arrival, the victim told officers someone slashed one of her tires. Officers observed the victim’s car to be parked legally in a shoveled out spot in the area of 10 Litchfield Street. Victim stated that there were items placed in the empty parking space in an effort to “save” the spot which the victim says she moved prior to parking.
(3) About 11:00AM, on February 12, 2013, a male victim walked into District D-14 (Brighton) to report that his vehicle had been damaged sometime between 9:00pm on February 11 and 7:45am on February 12. Victim stated it appeared that that front passenger side door had been damaged by someone throwing a hard plastic saw horse against it.
(4) About 11:01AM, on Wednesday, February 13, 2013, officers from District D-14 (Brighton) responded to a call for vandalism in the area of 91 Union Street. On arrival, officers spoke to the caller who stated that she parked her vehicle on Snow Street at 10:00PM, on Tuesday, February 12, 2013. When she returned to her car the next day, she discovered two flat tires on her car.
(5) About 9:30AM, on February 12, 2013, officers from District A-7 (East Boston) responded to 163 Byron Street for a vandalism report. On arrival, the victim told officers that on Monday, February 11, 2013, he moved a chair from a parking space and then parked his car in the empty spot. When he returned to his car the next day, he discovered two flat/slashed tires on his car.
(6) On Tuesday, February 12, 2013, officers from District A-15 (Charlestown) responded to 83 Cambridge Street for a vandalism report. On arrival, officers met with the caller who stated she found a nail in her tire which was flat.
(7) About 1:57PM, on Tuesday, February 12, 2013, a male victim walked into District B-2 (Roxbury) to file a report of vandalism to his vehicle. The victim told officers he parked his vehicle at in the area of 36 Elm Hill Park at about 9:00AM on Tuesday, February 12, 2013. When he returned to his vehicle a few hours later, he noticed the passenger side window of his vehicle was shattered. The victim further stated his vehicle was partially blocking a neighbor’s parking space.
Community members wanting to assist this investigation anonymously can either call the Crime Stoppers Tip Line at 1(800) 494-TIPS or text the word ‘TIP’ to CRIME (27463). The Boston Police Department will stringently guard and protect the identities of all those who wish to help this investigation in an anonymous capacity.